Thursday, March 5, 2009

Obama Officially Commits to Reform Defense Contracting

Okay, so this is not exactly related to immigration, but I do work for the Quakers so I can't help but celebrate just a wee-bit here too (and I do plan to bring it full circle by the end of the post...I promise).

Today, President Obama joined a bi-partisan group of Congresspersons dedicated to reforming defense contracting. He has officially committed to this cause and rejected the false choice between "securing this nation and wasting billions of taxpayer dollars."

According to a GAO report last year, cost overruns in major defense projects totaled $295 billion. That's a lot of wasted money. But we over here at FCNL have been saying that for a long time, and we've been saying a lot more about military spending too.

But now--to bring this full circle after all and perhaps prove my obsession with immigration issues--I can't help but wonder: Will Obama's commitment to reform defense contracting also include no-bid contracts and contracting abuse by defense companies on projects regarding immigration like the southern border wall or immigrant detention centers?

No comments:

Post a Comment